Arousal and Memory
The Implications of Arousal
Effects for the Study of Affect and Memory
William Revelle and Debra A. Loftus
in S.A. Christianson (Ed.) (1992) Handbook of Emotion and Memory.
- AROUSAL AS A PSYCHOLOGICAL CONSTRUCT
- Measurement of Arousal
- Problems of measurement
- Individual Differences
- Range of environmental conditions.
- Direct versus indirect measures of arousal.
- Situational manipulations of arousal
- The covariation of manipulations of arousal and affect:
- PERSONALITY AND AROUSAL
- Individual differences in arousal as measured by self report
- Individual differences in self-reported arousal and affect
- AROUSAL AND MEMORY
- Beneficial effects of arousal upon detection
- Detrimental effects upon shorter term retention
- Beneficial effects upon long term retention
- Arousal effects upon retrieval
- Theoretical explanations
- IMPLICATIONS OF AROUSAL EFFECTS FOR AFFECT AND MEMORY PARADIGMS
- Affect and memory research: Why all the confusion?
- An arousal-based interpretation of affect and memory phenomena
- Author notes